Saturday, June 27, 2009

Credo

The Latin credo means literally "I give my heart." The word believe is a problematic one today, in part because it has gradually changed its meaning from being the language of certainty so deep that I could give my heart to it, to the language of uncertainty so shallow that only the "credulous" would rely on it. Faith.... is not about propositions, but about commitment. It does not mean that I intellecutally subscribe to the following list of statements, but that I give my heart to this reality. Believe indeed, comes to us from the Old English belove, making clear that this too is meant to be heart language. To say, "I believe in Jesus Christ" is not to subscribe to an uncertain propsition. It is a confession of cimmitment, of love.

Diana Eck, Encountering God

No comments:

Post a Comment