Friday, December 3, 2010

Immunisation

When someone is injected with, or swallows, a vaccine, their body produces an immune response in the same way it would following exposure to a disease but without the person getting the disease. If the person comes in contact with the disease in the future, the body is able to make an immune response fast enough to prevent the person getting sick.

I dislike having Rona vaccinated, as it makes her feel not well and cry. But I think there is great value in immunisation.

Immunisation means that we no longer get smallpox or polio. It means that few people catch, and even fewer die of those communicable diseases that we get immunised for.

Rona has gotten immunised for:
Hepatitis B
Rotavirus
Diptheria
Tetanus
Pertussis (Whooping cough)
Influenza (B)
Polio
Pneumococcal

And most of these more than once. She has had 8 needles so far in her 6 months (poor thing)

At 12 months (yay, we get a 6 month break from needles) she will get vaccinated for:
Measles
Mumps
Rubella
Influenza (B)
Meningococcal C
Pneumococcal

While I wonder sometimes how much dead diseases I am getting pumped into my baby's body, I cannot help but wonder how worried I would be if she wasn't immunised.

Back before children were immunised so many died or were disabled I cannot imagine how worried those mothers would be when a particular disease "broke out" and worrying if your child would get it, and then if they did, whether your other children would get it....... and so on....

So this morning I praised God for allowing scientists to discover immunisations, and baby panadol. And will continue praying that Rona comes through this round of immunisations without too much discomfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment