Sunday, July 3, 2011

Rona's education - the beginning

A couple of weeks ago, we started the Your Baby Can Read program with Rona.

I had heard some good things about this program, and thought I could use some guidance as to how to teach her. I am not looking to create a genius child, I am just trying to do the best I can for her.

And so far, it has been great.

The program recommends that you watch the first DVD only, for the first month. Rona got a bit bored doing this, so we are watching both DVD 1 and DVD 2, which she is liking a bit better, with the larger variety.

We are looking at the flash cards, and I am reading books to Rona still (I have always done this). We only look at the flash cards when Rona wants to (she points to the basket they are kept in) and for how long she wants to, I wont force her to read, I want her to know how fun reading is.

Rona has now picked up more words, at least in understanding, if not actually being able to read (I am not going to test her). When a word is read like "head" she will put her hands on her head. This didn't happen before the Your Baby Can Read started.

Before, she only knew (in terms of body parts): eyes and nose.
She now knows: eyes, nose, ears, head, tongue, feet and toes.

So that is great.

I will keep you updated as we go along, I have been reading a lot about children's education, so bear with me as I blog about what I am learning :)

No comments:

Post a Comment